Wednesday 11 April 2018

Christopher Uptake by Susan Price

Christopher Uptake By Susan Price

Genre: Historical, Mystery, Thriller & Suspense

Historical fiction isn't normally something I'd read. However, as the theatre (one of my first jobs was as a wardrobe mistress) and the setting is Cambridge (I went to university there) I felt I had to give it a chance.

Set in Elizabethan England the story follows the turbulent life of Cristopher Uptake. Sent to university he quickly discovers the rules and the boredom of student life means he's soon drawn to the excitement of the streets of Cambridge and lure of the theatre. With very little money but some talent he luckily finds a patron in the form of the wealthy Edmund Brentwood. However, this brings a determined spy hunter knocking on his door. Christopher is given a choice, betray his friend or lose his life.

The story is told in the first person (a POV I typically find difficult to follow). However, because it's so well written I found myself thinking just another chapter. The bonus was I didn't see the end plot twist coming.

In my humble opinion, this book is well worth a read.

Reviewer - Lynne Garner

Writer of the following short story collections: Ten Tales of Brer Rabbit - Ten Tales of Coyote - Anansi the Trickster Spider - Hedgehog of Moon Meadow Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment